If what you need right now is a delicious, fresh-out-of-the-oven, apple pie tasting healthy cookie, then congratulations because you have come to the right place. I love apple pies and because they can be a bit of a drag to make I needed an alternative.
When I discovered these cookies that taste amazing – if not better than apple pie – I was delighted. They have almost stolen the spotlight from my ginger snaps and Christmas Peber Nodder which is pretty hard to achieve. With these cookies you have to be careful. Do not leave them unattended in an area with people around because they will be gobbled before you can say ‘pie’!
- 1 cup oats
- 3/4 cup flour / whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 peeled apples FINELY chopped
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- Mix oats, flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder in bowl. Set aside.
- Melt coconut oil or butter. Mix oil or butter with sugar and the eggs.
- Mix in finely chopped apple.
- Mix in the flour mixture until just combined. Chill for 30 minutes in fridge ( this is important so the coconut oil or butter can harden.
- Preheat oven to 375°F while the dough chills and line baking tray
- Make mixture into little balls that are around 5cm across and are slightly flattened.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until brown / golden and slightly crispy.
- Cool for 10 minutes or gobble them all up while you can!
- You can store these in an airtight container for under 1 week… if they last that long!