Every autumn my grandparents have the most amazing crop of apples. The low-lying trees grow next to a little stream and today I went up there and collected a whole bucket full of delicious apples – and fresh off the tree too! I went home set on making a yummy low-fat apple cake that is super moist and flavourful. I made the following cake and a great plus is that it is low in calories because it does not have any oil or butter in it! Only 116 calories per slice… so you can enjoy that second serving guilt free!
This cake is full of amazingly soft juicy apples which add a ton of moisture and flavour give this cake a wonderful sweetness that makes it a perfect dessert or afternoon tea cake. It is also a very easy cake to make – the only time comsuming ( yet only about 15-20 minutes ) part is having to peel and chop the apples which can be fun if you just turn on some music or the tv! This recipe is inspired by and adapted from http://www.aseasyasapplepie.com which they adapted from the book “La Buona Cucina Di Casa” written by Simili sisters.
- 700 grams (about 3 large) apples
- 2 eggs
- 90 grams brown sugar or granulated sugar
- zest of 1 small lemon
- a pinch of salt
- 110 grams sifted flour
- 75ml almond milk
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- optional cinnamon and extra sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5
- Grease and flour a cake pan
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples
- Place the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, and salt in the bowl of a stand up mixer, and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour, baking powder and milk and beat until well combined.
- Add 2/3 of the apples and fold into the batter until well combined.
- Place the batter in the prepared pan.
- Arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the batter.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon mixed with sugar.
- Bake in over for about 40 minutes or until a stick comes out clean.