I think apples have become a recurring autumnal theme on this blog! However that’s okay because apples are one of my favourite fruit. A great way to use up your apples is to make a yummy treat cake… like the one I made this evening! It’s moist and apple-y with just the right touch of cinnamon.
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ plus ⅓ cup sugar
- 7 oz. melted butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9″ baking pan. Use a circular pan as I used a square and that interfered with the cooking process.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate larger bowl, beat the ½ cup of sugar and melted butter with a hand mixer until light and airy, about 8 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for a few minutes after each addition.
- Reduce the speed of your hand mixer and add a third of the flour mixture, mix in, then add ½ the yogurt.
- Repeat until all ingredients have been mixed together.
- Next, stir in the apple slices and lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the buttered baking pan.
- Smooth with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining ⅓ cup sugar on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe inspired by http://www.ciaochowbambina.com