I remember one of my first blog posts was an oatmeal recipe. I have since improved my recipe and decided to add a new ingredient to it to increase my protein intake for the day which is usually very low as I find it hard to eat foods with lots of protein. ( I’m more of a carbs kind of gal, sadly ).
When making my porridge I usually use Flahvan’s, Progress Oats.
Oats are considered a superfood because:
- They are low in fat and saturated fat – foods that are low in fat are considered important in diets such as those to treat heart disease, obesity and diabetes.
- They have a medium glycaemic Index – foods with a low to medium GI and high soluble fibre content (such as oats, beans and lentils) can help reduce blood cholesterol as part of a healthy diet).
- They are high in soluble fibre.
- They are low in salt and sugar.
- They contain a variety of vitamins and minerals.
To increase my protein I will be adding a serving of whey protein powder that you can buy online or in supermarkets and sports shops.
For my topping, I like to add cinnamon, banana, blueberries, honey, almond milk, peanut butter etc. ( not all at once, I do different combinations ). My recipe below is for 1 person so increase if you are making it for more people.
- 40g oats
- serving of protein powder
- 110ml water
- 110 milk of choice ( I use almond or European soya )
- toppings of choice
- Add oats, water and milk of choice to a saucepan over a medium to high heat.
- Stir continuously until mixture starts to bubble ( boil ).
- Lower heat and continue to stir until you have reached desired thickness and creaminess.
- This all takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Spoon into bowl and cover in toppings.
- Stir in protein powder.
- Gobble gobble!
I hope you try this recipe as it is one of the healthiest breakfasts you can nourish your body with!